Thursday, September 9, 2010

A quick buck

I'm always up for making money... whether it's actually working or just picking up pennies... I mean seriously, who isn't up for making a quick dollar!? NOT Caleb... usually (who rolls his eyes when I bend down to pick up any/all change)- "you do realize that you have to bend over 100x to make a dollar right?" "Why yes Caleb, love of my life, I do... and since I'm able to bend down I'm going to take advantage of it!!". Many times I've had success making easy money, but sometimes it just doesn't turn out in my favor... for instance... when we were moving here we decided to have a garage sale to get rid of... anything and everything that we could to make some money... my quesadilla maker that I am totally in love with? Sure... the handle was chipped, so why not, $2... SOLD! Only later did we end up buying yet another maker to replace it as we are mildly obsessed with it...

When we got here we still had "stuff" that I thought I could sell, but with all the post rules/regulations I didn't want to hassle with a garage sale (again- QUICK buck is key!) so I took some items to the consignment store on post... about mid-November I brought our electric heater... and that's about the time I remembered that our bedroom has windows on 3 of the 4 walls... you can only have so many blankets on you before you get that panicky-clausterphobic feeling, so after a few nights of Caleb complaining we decided to go back to the consignment store... only to realize that they couldn't find our heater (but it hadn't sold)... so we SEARCHED high and low... for awhile... and still couldn't find it... and they said that even if we had found it we would have to buy it back from them... for more money than it was worth! AGH... so much for making money on that one!

What's even better than a quick/easy dollar? FREEBIES!!! I LOVE THEM!! Our neighbors moved, which meant they were getting rid of some "valuable junk"... I didn't want to embarrass Caleb so when it was dark (and I was sure no one was looking) I went over and checked things out... and found an AMAZING CHAIR and a headboard... I quick told Caleb we just HAD to have those items... he was hesitant... so the next morning I went over and HAULED/DRAGGED the chair in our house (it was literally like a month old!) and cleaned/vaccuumed it... then, went for the headboard, which is now in our garden- waiting for ivy to grow up/around it! Yes, I LOVE freebies.

1 comment:

  1. I follow a blog -- infarrantlycreative.blogspot.com -- it gives me the perfect excuse for those side-of-the-road pickups. She does "Roadkill Rescue" and people post their revamps that they got completely free. When she started doing it, I commented that she need to do it often, so I always had a 'dumpster diving' excuse. Our garage has a dresser in it waiting to be redone from a roadkill rescue.. ;) Maybe you can redo it and it's an excuse -- there's this online contest and I can't pay for the item, so I have to find them on the side of the road... ;) lol

    ReplyDelete