Thursday, November 10, 2011

Welcome to Kentucky

Caleb's first orders were to Kansas. How did we end up in Kentucky then you ask? Short and simple- I cried... no, scratch that, I WAS HYSTERICAL. Earlier that year, Caleb flew me out to Oklahoma, which was HUGE because I'm terrified to fly. I was married, hadn't seen my husband in months and my mom "strongly encouraged" me to go visit... so, a few days later, I found myself on the plane, only to have the MOST AMAZING weekend... in the middle of No Where, Oklahoma. I do believe the best thing was a Walmart, Sonice, and about an hour away a few stores/mall and bar... it was fun just spending time with my man though.

After that, Caleb had a course in Kentucky. SWEET. I thought Oklahoma was bad, but then he was sent to Kentucky. Why didn't he get to go to a course in oh, say, Hawaii? Colorado at least?! Nope... we don't have the "luck" to get luxurious places... agh, well. I do believe they have courses in the middle of flippin' No Where, USA so that the soldiers have NOTHING ELSE TO DO besides work and complete their course with no troubles... whatev. Caleb, then asked me to come down for a visit to Kentucky for a weekend... I was a bit hesitant as I literally believed Kentucky was filled with "double H's" aka: horses (my BIGGEST fear in the WHOLE WORLD) and hicks... again, I was hesitant at the best, BUT he had just bought me a car, so figured I should at least visit the guy ;) (all kidding aside, I was ELATED to see my hubby!!)

I was making GREAT time on my trip to Kentucky... and was so geeked to brag about my awesome time since Caleb said it would take about 6.5-7hrs... I was GOING on 6hours when I crossed into KY. Then, I realized my breathing was quickening... and that's when I realized I was having my first panic attack... there were HORSES EVERYWHERE. No joke, as I was driving, there was a horse trailer with a horse that was looking AT ME as if to say "lady, I'm about to kick that door down and trample all over your car..." I looked at the next exit sign (to get away from said horse) only to realize Lexington was about 20minutes away... umm, that CAN'T be right. I quickly called Caleb's dad, only to be told that I was NOT going the right way. He said I MUST HAVE not followed the directions. First of all, I have been nothing but nice to my PASTOR father-in-law and have never lost my temper... but hello, I was LOST. IN. KENTUCKY. BY THE HORSE CAPITOL. I quickly stated the directions, and realized that indeed my knight in shining armor had said to go "East" instead of "West". What the crap man?! *side note: when I got to the hotel, Caleb asked what took me so long... without missing a beat, and saying nothing, I gave him the directions and asked if he noticed anything was wrong... you could see his "kick in the stomach" look on his face... I then told him I already visited the horse capitol today, THAT was why it took so long* :) On the phone with my father in law, this is what our conversation sounded like:
Me: Keith, I'm was being a good wife and FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS MY HUSBAND GAVE ME. I CAN'T BE LOST.
Keith: Sarah, you're lost... most definitely lost. You need to turn around, right now... I'm on google Earth and have found out where you're at... you're definitely lost (I already heard I was lost, DAD). ;)
Me: I'm on a HIGHWAY- there's no place to turn around...
Keith: look for a Michigan u-turn
Me: I'M IN FRICKEN' KENTUCKY.. NOT MICHIGAN... THERE ARE NO U-TURNS.
Keith: (as he sensed my voice was not only rising, but quivering), calmly stated to take the next exit. While he was telling me this, I was in the middle of going from 60mph to 10mph in a flat GRASSY median... yes, I looked around to make sure no cops were around...
Me: Ok, I already turned around...
Keith: See, if you were patient, I knew you'd find a u-turn... ;) Ok, so, you're going the right way now... you're going to drive about 30minutes, and then start looking for Exit 9. Call me when you get to Exit 15.
I sped, and believe I made the 30minute trip into 18ish minutes... called him back and said that I was at Exit 10.
Keith: ok, well I have to pull up googleEarth and refresh the page... (I'm still driving)...
Me: Keith, Keith... I'm at Exit 9- what do I do?
Keith: I'm not sure yet... I'm not at Exit 9 yet... hang on
Me: KEITH- I NEED TO KNOW... NOW.
Keith: uhhh...uh...
Me: well, I hope I didn't need to do anything- I passed Exit 9...
This conversation went on for a bit longer, and then I FINALLY found Fort Knox... WHEW!!

I got to Fort Knox, only to find that Caleb was still in the field, and lived in a HOTEL. What the hay man? I was living in a SUPER shady apartment across from this guy that I literally dodged every time I went to/from our place. Our first "trip" was to the commissary. I was IMMEDIATELY in love with the military life. I saw men in uniform getting groceries and THEN saw the (CHEAP!) prices... not sure how we were able to spend SO MUCH money on nothing we needed... on our way back to the hotel, Caleb pulled over and stopped as he faced "the center of post". I was chatting, and got what is best known as the "stink eye". Afterwards, he explained the meaning of the bugle, and that at certain times on post you WILL stop and face the middle of post to give respect. GOT IT. Again, I was in love- over just stopping to hear bugles!

Again, we had an AMAZING weekend. I was really sad to leave, but was going to be back in a few months... while back in Michigan, Caleb got his orders... we were going to... KANSAS!! I cried. I bawled... I was absolutely miserable. "I CAN'T GO TO KANSAS- THERE'S TORNADOES... THERE'S NOTHING THERE!" Needless to say, after a week of tears and worries, my husband switched orders with a friend, and we were going to Kentucky... I can deal with Kentucky, for sure. On the next trip down, (after realizing THIS would be our new "home") I saw a man DRIVING a lawn mower... on the road... as if it were a car. Oh my gosh... I'm in KENTUCKY!!!! Yes, I cried, again. I'm pretty sure Caleb thought I would just wake up one day and up and move myself BACK to Michigan... but I've loved living here... but that's probably because I don't go "off post" much... it's SCARY out "there"!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment