Saturday, July 3, 2010

Happy Easter!!

Fear not... You are NOT going crazy... it's July 3 and for most people it is NOT Easter... but if you haven't noticed yet-let me catch you up to speed:Caleb and I are not "most people"... just like many things (think cleaning out our kitchen!) I "up and decided" that we are going to celebrate all the holidays for next year early... as you know, Caleb will be serving this next year, and I don't want to "miss out" on any memories, and when the holidays roll around next year, I don't want to sulk because he won't be with me-instead, I want to look at the pictures of us celebrating the holidays together (early)- so, that's why, today is Easter ;) As usual, Caleb is going along with all of this- what a great guy huh?! Yup- I somehow snagged the most amazing guy ever! Yesterday I went to he commissary to pick up stuff for his basket (cmon, it is Easter- did you really question if our "early holiday" would include all the trimmings?!- I already have his eggs filled... about to hide them and will later decorate eggs ;) ... so, yesterday (how do I get off on tangents so easily?!)- I was at the commissary-BIG MISTAKE!- not only was payday the other day (see previous blog on love/hate relationship with the comm.) so it was- a ZOO... absolute madness as it usually is righ after payday... but wait a second- it seems a bit too chaotic just for payday... (is that really the end of the line-in aisle 11?!?!).... that's about the time I realized that by most people's calendars this isn't "Easter" but... the 4th of July weekend... Oh.My.Gosh... great idea Sarah (as I am kicking myself standing in the longest line ever-think "day after Thanksgiving line-at Kohls-and everything is half off and everyone ahead of you is buying something for everyone in their family (ok, so it wasn't thaaaat bad, but you get the picture)... I look down at my BASKET that holds only a few things- enough to fill an Easter basket... but while I am about to moan again I realize that I am celebrating Easter with my husband... and I find myself smiling... then step out of line to grab a few more goodies for his basket (like those Tabasco flavored pickles that he adores-the smell alone seriously makes me gag!)-why am I reaching for those pickles and why did I get out of line?- because next year I won't have the opportunity to smell that Tabasco-gross-pickles... and I may just miss it! So yeah- I got out of the already long line... and found myself laughing and smiling and grateful for everything I have in my life... you see, the pickles are an aisle over from the cereals- I walked down the row to grab a box when I saw this little boy holding two boxes-he was deep in thought and almost looked distressed-that's when he called out to his dad- "dad:I need your help!"- his dad looks at him but doesn't so much as move... "dad-this is serious... do I get the box of cereal that's my favorite OR do I get the box that includes a toy?!-my favorite cereal never has toys in it...so should I get the one with the toy?!- it looks like a really cool toy!- I... I just don't know what to do?!?"... the dad again doesn't move and is now looking at Pop-Tarts not really paying much attention to his son... that's when I go up to the little guy-kneel down and say: "go for the toy... it's so worth it- finding the toy in the box is THE BEST WAY to start your day... and who knows, you might just like this cereal better! Go for the toy- not many "cool" cereals have toys in them anymore!" He looked at me (somewhat surprised that someone answered his question...) "Really? You think so?" he asked... "I KNOW so... and here's a hint... (warning:spoiler alert!): if you FLIP the box OVER and open it from the bottom, you will most likely get the toy out quicker... it usually goes to the bottom..." I smiled as the little boy then replied "gee-thanks!!!" That's what it's all about-going against the "normal" thing to do-step out of your comfort zone or away from what everyone else is doing (like not celebrating Easter today) and enjoy life's little blessings- you never know what's in store- you never know what toy is in THAT box of cereal... as I walked further through the commissary (back-tracking and AGAINST the flow of people) to get Caleb an energy drink (I do NOT support those drinks!-but know he likes them, and hey, it's Easter-it will be ok!) I saw a woman in an electric scooter trying to look at shampoos.. she then tried to get up/out of it to see them up close and smell them- she was struggling (but trying not to look like it)-I went over to her-grabbed the shampoos that she was looking at and handed them to her... she looked stunned (has anyone really not helped her before?!?)- she said thanks and that she didn't know which one to buy- I am not always this outgoing but after my encounter in the cereal aisle, and since the line was still really long I figured I could stay a bit longer and help her... "well, if they both do the same thing or you don't need volume/shine... definitely go for the smell..." she laughed... "that's the most difficult decision when it comes to buying shampoo or soap" I said... if you don't like the smell, you're not going to be too happy until the shampoo finally runs out-and that can be a long time if you don't like it!"... that's when we opened the bottles and smelled them-talking about the differences-she ended up choosing the one that I would NOT have gone for, but to each their own I guess... I put back the other bottle and wishes her a great holiday weekend... then stood in the ever-extending line... which didn't really seem to take that long- I couldn't stop smiling thinking about the little boy who seemed so confused on one of the biggest questions he has had to ponder in his life... and one of the littlest/pointless question that the woman faced...

No comments:

Post a Comment