Thursday, July 1, 2010

Baby Weight

Growing up I hated running... in fact I loathed it... it seems like the only times I really ran was the "mile" run in gym or when I was literally running for my life-either from my sister or from someone who threatened to tickle me... which just so happened to also be my sister most of the time, and yes, being tickled was the ultimate near-death experience in my mind... and still is... it's the worst feeling in the world to me and instantly brings me to tears, scratch that-it brings me to an all out crying/bawling/screaming-mode... it all starts out as an innocent "let's tickle Sarah" and for the first few split seconds I may laugh, but I am instantly crying... you don't need to ever try this-please don't-just take my word on it-if you do try to tickle me you may or may not get a fist in the face/gut... I am just protecting myself as I see it... in elementary when we had to run the mile I also cried... that was by far the worst day(s) in school- even if I faked sick I would still be expected to run it the next gym day... I was stuck... its not that I was THAT bad at running or that slow (well, I wasnt that fast either-ok, so maybe I got a gold slip for "trying my best" but whatever- I am over it)... one time I missed the mile run by no joke a few seconds.... which meant that I had to run at recess and eat with the first graders (I was short so probably looked like I fit in with them) but it was awful- I did however run my fastest time at the "re-do"- all I could picture was a.my sister behind me/chasing me and b.my gym teacher at the finish line (who at that point I was running full-speed towards out of pure anger-so yes, I ran that mile pretty quickly)... Over the years I started running for sports and then continued through college and somewhere fell in love with it... just tie up my laces, put on my music, and head out- I am in my own world and come back with a clear head... it's an awesome feeling, really... sometimes I just keep going and forget about how long/far I have ran for... yes, I love to run. Last week my brother was here- he is active and is quite the runner (I don't run with him or Caleb- they actually "run" whereas I just jog/putz-around...) but we went to the gym to play baskeball (he's awesome and I highly suggest getting his autograph-seriously-he's going to be a star-mark my words!)- while at the gym I told him we were running suicides... that's when he looked at me like I used to look at my gym teacher back in the day ("you want me to do what?!")-while running the suicides (note:on his summer break/in 95 degree humid gym) he called me a Jillian Michaels... Mission complete- I love her and have considered being a personal trainer (but every time I bring it up get a mixed review-yeah, so my max lifting is 8lbs... Who says I have to lift- I am a trainer- I would tell others to do it... And yeah, I am not mean, but who says you have to yell to get a person to do something?)... I hadn't ran for a few weeks before doing those suicides so was a bit sore the next day... Well!!!!!- yesterday I ran to meet another woman whose husband is in Calebs squadron... then we ran together... it wasn't too hot and felt so good to just run... and chat with this wonderful lady... oh but that's not the end of the story, I didn't mention that since her husband was in the field that she had to take her two precious boys (under 2) with us-I love these boys but oh my gosh.. she was running with this shopping cart of a running stroller-one of those double seated/heavy duty/semi truck tire strollers... she wanted me to push her a bit but after a mile and a half she was sweating... I didn't think she was going to be able to run much longer and we were no where by either of our houses so I figured "what the heck-it's a stroller and I have always wanted one of these types for later on... Might as well test it out"... she gladly gave me the stroller... that's when I started (trying to run) and couldn't move! She laughed and said that the stroller itself weighs 50+lbs and the boys together weight another 35+... what?!? Well, I finally started to get going and the wheels slowly started turning (we're moving!-I looked around to see if anyone was as impressed as I was that I was pushing this thing!)... That's when I noticed the slow/long incline of a hill that we were headed towards... Please, you have got to be kidding me! Not only am I trying to run (uphill) and carry a conversation, but I am also pushing 70+lbs... I actually started to sweat (which I don't at all-seriously)... I am proud to say that I ran another one and a half plus miles to our starting position (the playground)... I am not going to mention our pace but I was impressed, not just by me pushing that "stroller"-more like a semi! but that this woman (and many others run with this all around post!- I always say "good for them" when I see someone running- next time I see a woman pushing one of these things while running I may just pull over/run up to them-shake their hand and tell them they are my hero... bless them as they try and get "rid of the baby weight" by doing this... Yikes!! After we got back to the playground we took her older (2yr old) out and I played with him on the jungle gym for awhile... then started to run back home to eat dinner... That's when I grabbed my phone (out of my bra!-my grandma used to store money while traveling so I don't see why I should put my phone anywhere else while running-it probably looks a little weird to people driving by who see a rectangle coming out of my chest(!) but it works)-I called Caleb (woke him up) and nicely asked him to come get me-what a great husband to drive the (maybe) mile to pick me up-I was that tired... I joked about me being sore this morning... Yikes!- I feel like some mom ran me over by her semi-stroller!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment