Thursday, June 17, 2010

From VBS to "Being Elizabeth"

A year ago this Memorial Day weekend was the start of the next chapter of my life and I remember it as if it was just yesterday (it's already been a year?!-where does time go?!) My parents, brother, in-laws, and cat (who was somewhat sedated) stood in our driveway- holding hands and praying for my new life and the move... then headed to he weigh station, then what seemed like an hour and still in Kalamazoo we were off- heading to Fort Knox- my brother, Keith, and dad were in the truck, pulling the huge car trailer (do we really have ALL that much stuff?!) and my mom, Andie, and I in my car- using the walkie- talkies to share jokes, driving frustrations, and directions we made it to Fort Knox- at some point about a half hour away from post in an almost abandoned town I asked myself,"is this really where I am moving to?! What in the world- this is for sure the south and as I saw someone driving their lawnmower as a car, all of my ideas about KY surfaced...) Caleb called us to tell us what gate we had to go through (and hoping that we had all remembered our ids- Nate brought his lunch account card/id) we arrived at Fort Knox... And later pulled up to our house where Caleb was waiting on the front porch near a sign that read "Welcome home Mrs. Lohman" (oh Andie is staying here? Ok, let's drip her off and head back to MI- I have already seen enough and am already feeling homesick...) Caleb picked me up and we walked across the "threshold" and that's when I realized that I was "Mrs Lohman" and this was "home"... Where is my homesick medicine now?! Our families unpacked, moved everything, met the guy from Craigslist who I bought my ellyptical from, while Caleb stayed back and waited for the cable guy (yes we have our priorities) ;) and then went to dinner... Next morning woke up and went shopping, then our moms planted herbs and flowers while Nate and I hung the flag (where were the over guys?- probably watching tv- jk, but now that I think about it, I really don't know where they were!)- that day came and went and before I knew it we were giving hugs and they were walking to the car- at this point I was bawling and our moms and my dad were shedding tears... I looked exactly like I did 18 years ago when they dropped me off at VBS and I screamed- you see, I have always been one of those kids who ge homesick- go to Meijer to get groceries as a family and my dad/sister sneak away- I was bawling wondering why they left us (my poor mom!), 5th grade trip- my mom was a chaperone- the night ended by me calling her and being rocked to sleep by...my principal...slumber party at our neighbor, grandma Tillers house- better believe I woke my parents up in the middle of the night crying- just like I did at every sleepover, trip... Anything (my poor, poor parents!)- as they drove away from our house I sobbed... Looked at Caleb (who was probably wondering when they were coming back to pick me up- "and they left this girl who is a wreck with ME?!" Caleb had no idea what to do but immediately came up with the idea to go couch shopping and to Walmart for some other stuff (he had gotten a beautiful rug and bookshelf but I was upset that WE didn't pick it out-only later to come home with the same one)- on our way to Walmart we stopped at the library- biiiiiig mistake- I had JUST gotten ahold of myself and saw my dads favorite Christmas movie- I LOST it again... and put my sunglasses on- yes, inside; I didn't want people to see me so upset over a- movie cover! Looking at couches only left me thinking back to the couch at "home"- in Kalamazoo... and Walmart made me miss Meijer from back home... I was beside myself and couldn't stop crying- no matter how many smiling faces/hugs/jokes/kisses Caleb failed... I was majorly homesick... We went to our "new place" (I refused to call it "home" for the longest time)- I called my parents (again to "check in on them" for the 100th time- you think I am joking?- nope). When we got back home we started watching tv- on the floor (we had no couch!) but it was the best thing- I actually loved the "simpler" life of not having a couch- honestly, it's one of my favorite memories... And I was JUST starting to feel better and had stopped crying when Caleb laid it on me..."we should start unpacking-quickly because I have to head out to the field for 2 weeks- tomorrow morning"... I couldn't believe it- what a wake up call- "welcome home Mrs Lohman" should have read: "welcome to the army" as in, "you have no say- stop making plans and forget about your "to do list/summer things to do" (basically how I have lived my entire life) because this is the Army... You never know ANYTHING with this lifestyle- definitely a wake up call that took me forever to learn... I started crying again and headed to bed... I woke up the next morning with dark circles/puffy eyes only to be met by my neighbors ready to go on a walk... One of the women, Elizabeth was the first person my mom and Nate fell in love with- i still remember unpacking and my mom calling for me: "Sarah you MUST meet Elizabeth... She is wonderful (Nate behind her agreeing)- I dragged my feet the entire walk (across the road) not wanting to meet anyone-yet, but "moms know best" and my mom knew exactly what i needed- stepping into Elizabeths kitchen I saw her daughter wearing huge pink bow... Adorable... Elizabeth was from North Carolina (where my sister lives) so we started talking- hands down she was one of the sweetest people I have ever met... she was outgoing and nice and was the first person I talked to outside of my family- that's when I realized that I was an outgoing person and started to "find myself" again- ever since then, whenever someone moves in next door, and as outgoing as I am I still get a little nervous going out of my way to introduce myself...so I call my mom, who then tells me to "be am Elizabeth" and armed with muffins I walk over and meet any newcomer to our neighborhood... I have become that Elizabeth- the person who goes over while the family/couple is still unloading and wondering how they're going to unpack and fit everything into this "post house" I smile, reach out, introduce myself (and Caleb if he's home), and start making friends... hoping they will stay for longer than 8 months... "welcome home/welcome to the Army/welcome to the family"-whatever you want to call it- I welcome them and try to crack a joke and put them at ease as I know how it feels to move and not know what to expect... I am that Elizabeth mom ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment