Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cooking 101

While Caleb went home for "leave" I stayed home and kept myself busy... Not by coloring my hair (for once!)- well, to be honest, I had no choice in coloring it as I did it the week BEFORE he left ;) ... but I kept myself busy with.... cleaning/gardening/organizing/etc... one of my first things "to do" was to clean our kitchen... Not "clean" as in dust/mop but clean out our fridge and cupboards of "bad" food, as in "unhealthy"... my neighbor and I watched "Food Inc" which is a documentary that totally freaked us out for a day... And just finished reading several books by Michael Pollen (read "Food Rules") as well as we both attended a food/cooking class that a friend of ours hosted- I went in with an open mind as Caleb warned me not to "go crazy/all out" (note: this friend makes her own EVERYTHING and goes to an actual FARM for EVERYTHING... Else! So... Going with an open mind/notebook/pen I went... And came home with several ideas- she brought up several valid points and after further research I decided to start small and change some things (but waited until Caleb was gone-poor guy, he didn't even know it was coming)... My first step was to get rid of anything with "MSG" on the label... Then further cleaned keeping in mind one of my friend's points: "if it isn't deemed "safe" for a pregnant woman to eat, then why should we? What makes it "ok" for the people who are nourishing themselves and a baby? (think about it...) I would also like to say that I got rid of everything that has "soybean oil" in it (as I am allergic to it) but that would be almost impossible and leave Caleb with... Nothing... Zilch. So I cleaned out our kitchen and went shopping (which I might add took me almost 2 hours) because I was really thinking about what I was buying for us... and I am proud to say that Caleb handled it very well and was "on board" with it! Yes... That was my biggest obstacle... Phew! So once I had written a week's meal plan we started to cook... And the following is what happened...
1. I made chicken enchilladas for a family in our FRG and gave my sister the recipe as she was cooking for a family in their church (we got our love for cooking for others from my mom, who got it from her mom...) my sister called me back saying that everyone loved it and was making it for the 2nd time in THAT week bc it was such a hit... As I was telling Caleb he looked at me with sad eyes and asked when I was going to make it for us bc it is...his FAVORITE meal... I am making it... Today ;)
2- a bag of shrimp: has been in our freezer for...forever bc after I bought it Caleb was super hesitant about wanting to eat it... Well I was tired of looking at it everytime I opened the freezer and figured that he would eat I if I a.put it with pasta and b.made it spicy so I did just that-as I was cooking he came in and started picking at the shrimp and threw one away... "what ARE you doing?!" "they haven't been "de-pooped""!!!!!!!! He replied... I stopped and grabbed my phone to call my sister as she is a fan of shrimp- a modern day Bubba from Forrest Gump... As Caleb was searching the bag to see if it had in fact been "depooped"... (I have insisted that my family/friends look on tuna cans to insure it's "dolphin safe"-check yours now!!) and this is what my sister said: "they're usually "de-veined" but don't worry, they only eat dust anyways"- this left me being more confused... when I called my mom and asked she didn't know and told me to "google" it.... Which I haven't as I am not really ready to see if Caleb is right... Do shrimp need to be "depooped?!" whatever....he ate it and enjoyed it... All but the WHOLE WHEAT pasta.... Whoops, my bad for trying to be a little more healthy! ;)
3- while driving Caleb said he hadn't had "dirt-n-worms in...forever so I said we would make it (last night) and all we needed was pudding and Oreos... "no that's not it!" "yes it is...my mom made it all the time," I said... "well maybe my mom made it different..." no worries- I was already calling my aunt to figure it out (after the shrimp episode I needed someone to make sure I was right! While on the phone Caleb said "whip cream!" "that's it!!! That's the other ingredient-nice job...10 points for Caleb.. Who then insisted he wanted to make it "healthy" (although I am pretty sure that it's impossible! Lol)- he made sure we got fat free/lowfat/sugar free pudding, Oreos, and don't forget, whipped cream! ;) I am still positive that "dirt-n-worms" is a treat and doesn't have to be healthy, but whatever makes him sleep better at night ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment