Thursday, June 17, 2010

Moving day

As I write this I hear loud noises outside.... but looking out our front window all I can see is a huge truck with "moving co." on it... and then, looking closer, I see: memories- a grill, kitchen supplies, 3 kids, and other boxes... this actually isn't an unusual sight to see being that we live on a military post... Since the beginning of the year our neighborhood has completely changed- 80% of our neighbors are new- and in fact, once our neighbors officially drive off post heading to their new duty station, Caleb and I will be the second longest living people in our neighborhood, and we've only been here just over a year! Like I said, moving trucks aren't something rare here- just like driving next to a Humvee or hearing cargo planes/guns/canons firing... I can't believe that I am saying this but I am used to it- when I go back home and don't hear or see these things I feel out of place... drive up/down any street and you are bound to see boxes piled high and moving trucks... some of the people that I have seen move I haven't ever met- maybe ran into them while out running or at the commissary, but I don't know them- but, they're another family moving across the country, or, across the world. Over the past year we have made some amazing, lifetime friends, but we have had to say goodbye to- that's one of the hardest parts to our lifestyle- the soldier gets orders and we all pick up our things and leave- starting another life- most people in the military chunk their lives by the places they have lived... "remember that time when we were in Hawaii or Germany..." " no dear, that was when we were in Texas.." the kids that I taught this year averaged 8-10 states that they've lived in (some countries thrown in for a good mix) and they're only 8 years old... while I was talking to my neighbors moving last night I couldn't stop reflecting everything that's happened over the last year, as well as the day I moved down here to start anoher chapter of my life: chapter 5:fort Knox... the neighbors that are leaving have left footprints on my heart- we may not have had the same ideas/at some times, but I will always remember them- the grill I see takes me back to our first night here (after our families headed back home)- we had a neighborhood BBQ where we officially met everyone and tried to remember faces to names and names to houses... and trying to remember what unit they were in, when they moved/how long they were here for, and where they came from- talk about "melting pot!"-our neighbors came from all over and were in all the walks of life... Newlyweds to 3+ kids/"lifers" in the Army... the kitchen supplies remind me of all the (many times) we have called eachother in need of milk, eggs, butter, rosemary, etc. (when you grocery shop you start to take all of this into account and usually buy more of something so that you can in fact help them out)- there's probably a path starting to show between our houses from the trips to and from getting ingredients... the 3 kids remind me of our doorbell ringing only to see their sweet daughter asking to play with Daisy... or watching her guinea pig for a week (that made me call my parents and thank them for being so stern about having a dog and fish that probably lasted a week)... the girl got this guinea pig for her birthday and for weeks tried to come up with the "perfect" name for it (Smore was the final cut)- how do I know that she took so long to come up with a name? Because I heard her talk about it every morning- you see, these same neighbors took me out every morning for a neighbor walk... I can't imagine how sad I wouldve been had they not waited for me each and every morning- there were between 4-10 of us any given morning- I learned so much from these ladies (at times a bit too much) but they got me out of the house and brought back my outgoing attitude that I thought I lost moving down here.... Yes, I will never forget them, as well as the other 20+ families/ friends that we have had to say goodbye to (I stopped counting awhile ago)... we keep in touch with many of them but it's just not the same- again, the military friends we make have become our family... and while we wait a week or so for new neighbors (yes-only a week to completely change who your neighbors are-the start of someone elses chapter in their life) Caleb and I wonder what they're going to be like: kids? No kids? Pets? and that's when I head to the kitchen to start making muffins to bring over to meet them... Yes mom, I have become that "Elizabeth" ;) (I will tell you about Elizabeth in the next blog...just to keep you on your toes and reading).. but back to saying goodbye to friends/neighbors... one of my dearest friends moved a few months ago to Texas- I remember he first time I met her, my friend Mekala, jokingly/yet somewhat seriously "we can't get too close to her though because she's leaving us in 8 months... Easier said than done- Emily became one of my best friends- she was the one with me when we got in the car accident, we ran together, did a devotional together, she got me my first job down here, shopped, got our hair/eyebrows done, called each other all the time-sharing recipes, hopes, dreams, concerns, everything... easier said than done indeed... we never talked about her moving (except for the fact that they were dreading Texas but knew God had a purpose in that post... if it weren't for my brother being here the day she left I don't know how sad I wouldve been... yes, our military friends become our family...

No comments:

Post a Comment