Monday, June 14, 2010

Id

You know when you go on a trip or vacation and you're extra careful and double check (sometimes triple-check in my case!) to make sure you have everything? Some of you may have gone somewhere where you have needed to carry your passport... I remember when we went on our cruise I kept my passport on me at all times... I would constantly open my bag to make sure it was still in it (even though I just looked like 5 minutes before)- in this case it probably would have been easier and I may have enjoyed myself a bit more instead of worrying about it the entire time if I duct-taped the passport to me... sometimes I think back to that time and think that I should tape my military id to me... Seriously, your military id is everything- you can't do anything without it... Try to buy groceries and you don't have it? Sorry- no can do- and you may think, well fine, if you don't have your id just go off-post and get your weeks worth of groceries... Well my friends, how do you suppose you get back on post to put your milk/frozen stuff away in time and just go home?! Yeah, you're going to need your id... Saturday night Caleb and I went to Louisville to see a movie (yes- round trip almost an hour and a half to see a movie-did I mention military posts are usually in the middle of no where?!) and on our way back home it hit me... I immediately realized I forgot my id... At home! I have joked so many times before about "forgetting my id" but this time I really did... I knew I did- I left my entire wallet at home! I had NO identification card at all... I looked at Caleb and was like, "seriously, I forgot my id..." and while I said it I was picturing it by the computer in our guest bedroom, but STILL looking for my wallet in my purse thinking... Hoping that it would somehow show up in my purse- how many of you do that?! You KNOW you forgot it but keep looking as if you will it to show up somehow... Nope, sorry, keep looking, but it's not going to magically appear... you can't will it to show up... So, back to my realization that I had indeed forgotten my id at home... I called my friend (basically savior/hero in times like this!) Mekala... I told her what happened and jokingly (yet somewhat serious) asked if I could still get on post without mine if Caleb was driving... She laughed (!) and said, "Sarah you know that you can't- they will arrest you..." and then continued to laugh... before I could even ask her she said "I am already on my way to your house-where is it? Meet me at the gate in 15 minutes..." When we pulled up to the gate I saw my hero, driving a little Saturn,waiting for us... people in the military say that "your family becomes your friends, and your (military) friends become your family"... I think so! Mekala has come to my "rescue" so many times before and I am so grateful for her... especially in times like this- all I wanted to do was go home, have some dinner, and chill out... without my id I wasn't going to be able to even go home, nonetheless chill out/have dinner... I would like to add that I did think about hiding in our trunk to get/"sneak" on post but knowing me and our luck, we would have been the car that the guards "randomly search/check"- haha what a sight that would be- "sir, we need you to open your trunk so we can finish our check"... And out pops me... As funny as that seems and as tempting as that sounds at times to lighten the guards' moods I immediately put my id in my purse... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment