Saturday, June 12, 2010

The difference...

I am currently reading "chicken soup for the military wife's soul and read a short story about the difference between a military wife and other spouses... "I never intended to become a run-of-the-mill person" she wrote... And added that "military wives aren't better or worse than any spouse but that there is definitely a difference"... I can clearly remember a day when I was driving through downtown Kalamazoo with my dad- it is one of those "teachable moments" that has forever changed my view/life... On the steps of the courthouse people were picketting the war... My dad rolled down his window and said how they should be grateful for their rights- they were able to protest bc people have fought in wars for that right... And then added
to get out of our country if they didn't appreciate that right and give respect to those who have fought and continue to fight-for them and their rights... I couldn't have been more proud of my dad! Jane Addams said "America's future will be determined by the home and school. The child becomes largely what he is taught; hence, we must watch what we teach, and how we live." With that said, I have always been extremely patriotic and am forever grateful to those who have served and continue to do so... God bless the special men and women who have taken it upon themselves to defend our freedom and stand up for the freedoms for those who can't stand up for it themselves... so as you can see, I am ever proud of my husband who serves and I am a proud military wife... when we were dating I knew Caleb was going to be in the Army and when I said "I do" I not only said I do to him but "I do" to the military life as well- I admit that it has taken me a while to learn that the Army comes first... No matter what. I could go on and on about how different our lives are being married to the military... and how different my life is than what I imagined it would be like when I signed up "for this" but little did I know that I signed up for: having my best friend away more times than he is home, saying goodbye to many friends who have became my family and forever changed my life... and little did I know back in 9th grade watching the twin towers fall, the true impact that that day has and will have on my life... It forever changed all of our lives... by this time I will be halfway through a deployment as Caleb will be deploying late this year... There are no books/resources/etc that can truly prepare you enough for an entire year being separated from your best friend- an entire year: it is every holiday... It is thousands and thousands of memories that will never be made together, never shared, never reminisced about later... Yes, nothing can prepare you for the responsibilities and characterisitics you must take on being militry wife... yesterday while grocery shopping Caleb wasn't really acting like himself... I knew he had a tough day at work but also knew that something else was bothering him... "what's up Caleb?!" he didn't respond at first and then very solemnly he said that his first friend and guy he had trained with was killed while on mission in Afghanistan. My heart broke... I prayed for this soldier, his friends/family that he left here to soon, for Caleb, and for those serving/their family/friends... And then I went silent... We have been through deaths together-including grandparents and friends but nothing like this... war hit home... as a military wife I need to be strong for my husband but nothing can prepare you for that... God bless our troops... they give everything and expect nothing- not even a thank you- they are fighting for people who can't fight themselves... For rights/freedom, and for us... Everyday... We are all blessed by them... Please pray for our troops and those like Caleb's friend who have given
their own life... For you. Also, pray for those
that stand behind that soldier as those spouses are fighting a war within themselves... I don't care if you are for or against the war, but respect those that have fought and are fighting... Be thankful- you are
free and have rights... If you don't have enough respect for that, I think my dad said
it best... "please, get out of my country..."

No comments:

Post a Comment