Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mmm.... Pickles!

So the other day I was at the commissary and decided to get out of line to buy those Tabasco flavored pickles for Caleb that he loves... yeah- those are the pickles that I NEVER buy because the smell alone makes me gag... Caleb loves them so when I am feeling really nice or want to surprise him or for special occassions I will buy them... so that's why I stepped out of the already long line to buy them for his Easter basket... this morning we were lounging around and what do you know- it's lunchtime already(!) so I ask him what he wants... he asks what there is- I JUST went grocery shopping for the week so in my head asked myself "what isn't there?!"- I started rambling off some choices in which he wasn't too thrilled about... Any of them... sooo I got a bit annoyed... that's when he came into the kitchen and gave me a huge hug and said not to worry about it because he would figure something out... I was still being a bit grumpy as I was preparing something in the crockpot-let me pause here and add that I have used my crockpot a total of 4 times and have tried a different recipe each time, but I think I have a defective one because it cooks everything way too fast and always burns everything... but I figured I would try it again-this time using one of Caleb's mom's recipes (she's really a great cook) but as I was mixing the apple pie filling with the BBQ sauce to cover the pork (we do NOT eat any type of pig-seriously-we just don't-and we don't have a reason-yeah we are kind of weird I guess)... so as I am questioning this recipe Caleb looks over and starts questioning it as well... and just about the time that I am seriously about to lose it/throw it all out/forget about trying something new- Caleb opens the jar of pickles- TRIES to I should add... pickle juice goes everywhere!- even on poor Daisy who is now licking herself... it's all over our entire silverware drawer (it was open as he was using a jar opener)... and that's when I... laugh hysterically (did you think I was going to say lose it/yell?!)- I about died... it was hilarious and probably the best thing that could have happened in that exact moment... Daisy is going to need a bath for sure and now the kitchen smells like those pickles... and I probably won't be able to walk through the kitchen/dining room without having to hold my breath or gag... but it will be ok... as for the new recipe in the crock pot?- we will see... but until then... I am still snickering and next year when Caleb is gone today and I am missing him I will start laughing about those pickles all over again ;) Happy Fourth of July!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment